A few months ago, my BFF from BYU purged her Facebook account. She kept all her “real” friends, and deleted everyone that would walk by her at campus and not make eye contact.
(She also invented the word ‘frex’ which means “friend-exing”. Much like frenemy. Except not as mean. Frex will be in the dictionary someday. And she will get the credit.)
It sounded really refreshing, but I never got around to it.
Then today I realized that I had 745 friends on Facebook. Now, I realize I’m pretty popular, but there’s no way I have 745 friends! (actually, I doubt I have much more than 20 – I just counted…maybe 25)
(Also, I keep reading articles about people’s homes getting burglarized because of Facebook. Doesn’t sound fun.)
So I decided to go ahead with the frexing.
It was pretty fun. There was a lot of “Who the heck is THAT?!” and “mmmm….yeah, he’s definitely getting the frex” and “*this person*: to frex, or not to frex?”
A random sampling of people that got frexed:
- The boy in my freshman ward at BYU who, upon meeting me, told me we could never get married because his little sister’s name was Cami, and there couldn’t be two Cami (last names) in his family.
- The girl from my 5th grade class who started hating me when I got to be Annie and she had to be Miss Hannigan in the school play. It was sad for real life, but great for the play!
- All of my friends’/sisters’/brothers’/cousins’/etc.s’ ex boyfriends/girlfriends/roommates
- About 8 BYU single’s wards full of people.
- Foreign exchange students from more than 10 years ago.
- Actually, all foreign exchange students.
- Anyone making a rude hand gesture in their picture.
A random sampling of tough calls:
- Friends’ little siblings
- Little siblings’ friends
- Random relations
- Friends’ random relatives
- People with gorgeous wedding/kids pictures
- Ken Jennings
A random sampling of those NOT frexed:
- If I look at their blog
- If I might ever get a random hankering to text them…and I have their phone number
- If I think they might get engaged soon, and I’m saving them to see their wedding pictures
- If, when I read their name, they made me smile
- Jimmer. Duh.
Luckily, I was video-chatting with my sister at the time, and she helped me make some of the tough calls.