Benefits of SFG:
- Requires very little space; 80% less than conventional gardening.
- Can be done in as little as 4 feet by 4 feet, — or as large as you want. Your existing (bad) soil doesn’t matter because we don’t use it. Start with an ideal soil mix that is weed-free and requires no tilling.
- Uses much less water; only about 20% compared to conventional gardening.
- No fertilizers or pesticides to handle — it’s all natural
- The planting method requires no thinning and very few seeds.
- All the hard work has been removed in the Square Foot method – only the enjoyable part remains.
- Can be started in any season.
- Produces 5 times the harvest of a conventional garden.
- Can be done by those with physical or mental limitations. If getting down is a problem, raise the boxes to a wheelchair level.
- Makes a great family project, all ages can participate – kids love to garden.
- No Weeding! No Thinning! No Heavy Digging!
AND you can plant PORTABLE SFGs! Let’s just say, Nate and I will be making some immediately upon our return to Provo.
This is Mel…our gardening hero
for more info, see http://www.squarefootgardening.com/.